Outdoor Writers Association of America is pleased to announce that Matthew Liere of Spokane, Washington, was recognized as an award recipient for the 2019 OWAA Excellence in Craft Contests. This annual awards program recognizes and honors the best work of outdoor communicators who are members of OWAA. This year, 67 individuals took home over $11,000 in cash prizes.
Second place in the outdoor fun and adventure category of the newspaper contest for “The ice whisperer,” published on February 15, 2018, in The Spokesman-Review. The outdoor fun & adventure category recognizes the best outdoor recreation work from the various non-consumptive sports. This includes, but is not limited to, outdoor sports such as camping/backpacking, boating, hiking, birding, snow skiing, orienteering, mountain biking and general outdoor activities. The prize money for this category was sponsored by Izaak Walton League of America.
Second place in the humor category of the newspaper contest for “Remembering the great Pat McManus,” published on April 14, 2018, in The Spokesman-Review. The humor category recognizes pieces that are funny and outdoor oriented.
Matthew Liere is a freelance columnist for The Spokesman-Review. His work highlights personal exploits based loosely on truth and heavy on nostalgic fiction. Liere had a 23-year career with the Coast Guard’s aviation division before picking up a pen and launching a new career as a writer.
The Outdoor Writers Association of America is the oldest and largest association of professional outdoor communicators in the United States. It was organized in 1927 by members of the Izaak Walton League of America and includes professional communicators dedicated to sharing the outdoor experience. OWAA’s professionals include writers, photographers, outdoors
radio and television show hosts, book authors, videographers, lecturers and artists. Visit http://www.owaa.org for more info.
MISSOULA, Montana — The Outdoor Writers Association of America has an immediate opening for a creative, organized individual to fill the position of communications manager.
OWAA is the nation’s largest and most-recognized organization of professional outdoor media. As The Voice of the Outdoors, OWAA has been the “how-to” organization for aspiring outdoor communicators and accomplished professionals since 1927.
We are newspaper and magazine writers, TV and radio personalities, photographers and videographers, book authors, bloggers, lecturers, and artists.
Our office is the great outdoors.
OWAA’s communications manager is a regular part-time staff position. The communications manager reports to the executive director and serves as editor of OWAA’s bimonthly magazine Outdoors Unlimited and works with the executive director to generate website and social media content. Work location is negotiable.
Production of Outdoors Unlimited and OU Online, including:
- Planning six issues per year
- Soliciting and choosing material from contributing writers and photographers
- Writing and editing copy, including headlines
- Working with the OU page designer on magazine layout
- Contributing to Outdoors Unlimited Online
- Maintaining OU Online content, including posts from the OU print version, Outdoor Market listings, and Supporting Group news tips and briefs
- Managing magazine interns, including training and editing their articles
General communications, including:
- Assisting with production of conference-related publications, electronic newsletters, and other special projects
- Collaborating with Executive Director and staff on news releases, website content, and social media outreach
- Travel and assistance with annual conference (including non-editorial duties)
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
- Proven record of magazine, newspaper, or other media experience
- Strong editing skills with adherence to Associated Press style
- Skilled in MS Office
- Familiarity with WordPress website content management system
- Experience with effective social media communications
The application deadline is April 26. To apply, send résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.