MISSOULA, Montana — The Outdoor Writers Association of America has an immediate opening for a creative, organized individual to fill the position of communications manager.
OWAA is the nation’s largest and most-recognized organization of professional outdoor media. As The Voice of the Outdoors, OWAA has been the “how-to” organization for aspiring outdoor communicators and accomplished professionals since 1927.
We are newspaper and magazine writers, TV and radio personalities, photographers and videographers, book authors, bloggers, lecturers, and artists.
Our office is the great outdoors.
OWAA’s communications manager is a regular part-time staff position. The communications manager reports to the executive director and serves as editor of OWAA’s bimonthly magazine Outdoors Unlimited and works with the executive director to generate website and social media content. Work location is negotiable.
Production of Outdoors Unlimited and OU Online, including:
- Planning six issues per year
- Soliciting and choosing material from contributing writers and photographers
- Writing and editing copy, including headlines
- Working with the OU page designer on magazine layout
- Contributing to Outdoors Unlimited Online
- Maintaining OU Online content, including posts from the OU print version, Outdoor Market listings, and Supporting Group news tips and briefs
- Managing magazine interns, including training and editing their articles
General communications, including:
- Assisting with production of conference-related publications, electronic newsletters, and other special projects
- Collaborating with Executive Director and staff on news releases, website content, and social media outreach
- Travel and assistance with annual conference (including non-editorial duties)
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
- Proven record of magazine, newspaper, or other media experience
- Strong editing skills with adherence to Associated Press style
- Skilled in MS Office
- Familiarity with WordPress website content management system
- Experience with effective social media communications
The application deadline is April 26. To apply, send résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.